Friday 24 June 2016

What is Functional Neurologica Disorder (FND)?

This is just a quick post as I thought I should explain what FND is as I have mentioned it a few times and not many people are aware of what it is unless you know someone who has it or they have it themselves. Functional Neurological Disorder is when someone experiences neurological symptoms such as weakness, movement disorders, sensory symptoms and blackout, all though it affects everyone in different ways. The brain of a patient with FND is structurally normal but functions correctly.
This means that there is nothing wrong with the connection between your brain and the part of your body that is affected but your brain doesn't function properly anymore. For example, I have had many nerve conduction study's which tests how your nerves react to the electrodes that are placed on the effected area. My nerves function properly, there is no break in the connection from my brain to my arm. 
Everyone is different as there is a broad range of symptoms the people with FND have. There are core symptoms like limb weakness or paralysis (of which I have limb weakness), blackouts, movement disorders, visual symptoms, speech symptoms and sensory disturbance. 
There is a list of other symptoms the also commonly occur in patients with FND. These symptoms are not defined with FND but may occur as part of the widespread functional disorder where multiple symptoms are present. These include: Chronic pain (Fibromyalgia, which I have mentioned that I also have previously), Fatigue, Dizziness, Sleep Disturbance, Poor memory and Concentration, Nausea, IBS, Depression (which I also suffer from), Anxiety and PTSD. 

I suffer from weakness in my left arm, limited movement, little to no sensation and really bad pain because my arm is always left just hanging by my side. This causes me to have bad posture as my shoulder is being pulled down to the left side. I got fibromyalgia nearly 2 years after I was diagnosed with FND and the doctors thought I may have got it because three of my sisters have it and also my mom. They may think it might run in the genes of all the girls in my family, even though they say it is not hereditary. I think it may be both combining factors that I have Fibro.
I also have depression because of my FND. I think I became depressed because I was unable to cope managing the pain and not being able to look after myself properly when I went to university, luckily I have been prescribed anti-depressants and after a month I can already notice a difference in the way I feel.

I hope this explain more about what FND is so you know if I mention it in the future.
Charlie x

No comments:

Post a Comment